Now open Tuesday to Saturday, from 10am to 3pm. Gently used items for Children, Women and Men. Entrance is off of Hillcroft Street. Please walk through the parking lot and back gate to the back of the building.
ZOOM COFFEE HOUR, WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 24, 2021: the Archbishop / Primate of the Anglican Church of Canada, Linda Nicholls (former Diocesan Bishop of Huron and former Area Bishop of Trent-Durham, and a college classmate of Pastor Kit!) will join us by Zoom, Wed Feb 24, 10:30 am All welcome! Email Pastor Kit at email@example.com. to join!
Do you have questions about life, spirituality, Jesus or the Church? Where is it safe to ask them? Why not consider the Alpha Course online, starting Monday, January 25th, 2021 at 7pm. Pastor Kit and team will facilitate Alpha. Please register at firstname.lastname@example.org. There is no charge for the course.
Wednesday, January 6th to Wednesday, February 24, 7pm to 8pm
(The first session may run to 8:30 to accommodate housekeeping, background information as well as the first topic.)
C.S. Lewis “The Screwtape Letters”. Lewis wrote The Screwtape Letters during WWII. The current global crisis provides a very similar point of reference to view the letters and the human condition.
We will be listening to and discussing the first 8 to 10 letters written by a “Senior Demon” as he coaches his apprentice on the corruption of a human. Among other topics, the letters address Reason & Reality, Relationships, Troughs and Peaks, and Sincere Prayer. We will listen to an audio recording of each letter, however, it is recommended to have a copy of the book for maximum benefit. E-copies are available ranging from free to $1.99 (Kindle, Kobo, etc.) and print books are available ranging from $10 and up from Amazon, Chapters, etc. (During the COVID lockdown, on-line ordering with pick up curb service is still available at Chapters). Please contact the office to register by January 4th. The relevant Scripture references and the virtual meeting link will be emailed to you in advance of January 6.
Sorry to say our Outdoor Christmas Market on Saturday, December 5th has been cancelled due to the new COVID regulations.
Gate 3:16: (collected at the church by November 26th)
- Walmart Gift Cards (only Walmart) in denominations of $10 or $20
- Adult size back-packs
- Baking supplies for cookie making ( no bulk items )
Simcoe Hall Settlement House: (collected at the church by November 26th)
- Puzzle books ( crossword, search-word, sudoko)
- Playing Cards
A Prayer of Thanksgiving
we give you humble and hearty thanks
for all your goodness and loving-kindness
to us and to all whom you have made.
We bless you for our creation, preservation,
and all the blessings of this life;
but above all for your immeasurable love
in the redemption of the world by our Lord Jesus Christ;
for the means of grace, and for the hope of glory.
And, we pray, give us such an awareness of your mercies,
that with truly thankful hearts
we may show forth your praise,
not only with our lips, but in our lives,
by giving up ourselves to your service,
and by walking before you
in holiness and righteousness all our days;
Through Jesus Christ our Lord,
to whom, with you and the Holy Spirit,
be honour and glory throughout all ages.
Food banks and other organizations that serve the poor and disadvantaged are suffering now. The donations that we normally give each week to Simcoe Hall are not happening during the Covid-19 pandemic. The following are ways that the parish can donate at this time:
Monetary donations to Simcoe Hall Food Bank, The Refuge, Gate 3:16 and The Back Door Mission can all be made through Canada Helps. This is probably the best way to help and to avoid any unnecessary contact.
These are the dates, times and restricted hours due to Covid-19 to drop off food donations to each charity:
• The Back Door Mission’s (Simcoe Street United Church, 66 Simcoe Street S.,) hours have changed and are now as follows: 9am-7pm for bathroom use, meals are everyday as well between 10am-1pm operating 7 days a week. The pantry and clothing items are available between 10am-1pm from Monday-Friday.
• The Refuge, 300 Court Street, Daily 9 am-6 pm
• Simcoe Hall Food Bank, The building behind the old house at 387 Simcoe Street S., Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 9 am-11:30 am and 1 pm-3 pm
• Gate 3:16 , 64 Albany Street in Oshawa just slightly east of Simcoe Street south; north of the 401. Breakfast is Monday – Thursday 8-10am, Lunch is Tues and Wed 11:30-1 pm, Dinner is Monday and Thursday 3:30-5 pm, Friday the Gate is closed. All meals are take out. “Gate 3:16 Outreach Centre would like to offer their support to anyone who is struggling under the stresses of Covid Pandemic. We will offer either our take out meals, or, a few food items to help get you through. Just present yourself at our side door, up the ramp and knock hard three times and we will open the door to serve you. We truly wish to give back to our supporting churches and helping our brothers and sisters in need. May the good Lord , in His precious love and care continue to provide to everyone in His gracious love and compassion.”
• To everyone who came out to the first two evenings of Faith Conversations and the presenters, Dr. Paul Laroche and Patty Bowman Kingsley. And a BIG thanks to the presenters that have prepared their talks without being able to share them: Rev. Roy Graves, Peter Misiaszek and Pastor Kit. We hope to have the opportunity to invite you back soon
• Thank you to Verna Kemp who continues to share the handouts via email with the Friday morning group studying the Spiritual Journey together. Thank you for your faithfulness.
• To the team of volunteers who made the MaxSold on-line auction pick up go smoothly: Claire Ducommun, Darlene & Troy Pulchinski, Dave Rabjohn, Diane & Otto Peter, Doug & Fran Thompson, Gord & Jo-Ann Thow, Nancy Cudmore and Pastor Kit. A note of special thanks to Michelle Nichols for all of her work preparing for the auction and for her generosity to the people in our community that she helps through this effort. Well done!
• To our newly formed team of “Shut-in Callers”. Once or twice a week our shut-ins receive a friendly check in call from one or more of our callers. Thank you to our team: Alison Stairs, Carol Brown, Diane Peter, Dianne Greaves, Dorothy Kitch-Churchill, Frances Thompson, Izabela Ballentine, Pastor Kit, Valerie Marshall, Verna Kemp, Warren Beal and Yvonne Jensen. We also thank Margaret Blackman who has offered to deliver groceries when needed. Thank you for caring about our most vulnerable parishioners and neighbours.
• We thank the Women’s Retreat Team: Rebecca Symes, Jennifer Quirt, Dianne Greaves, Sally Ross, and Karyne Whalen. Although we’ve had to cancel the retreat we want to thank these women for all of the time and energy they have put in to preparing for the retreat. We hope we can gather for a day of celebration in the near future. Stay tuned and stay connected.
• Postponed but not cancelled! BIG thank you to the Talent Auction Team for planning and preparing to run the auction: Otto & Diane Peter, Gord & Jo-Ann Thow, Fran & Doug Thompson and Michelle Nichols. We are looking forward to the auction and the potluck. Thanks again for your willingness to make it happen.
• Thank you to Justin Greaves, Tina Kouroupis and Dianne and the cats for assisting with audio Morning worship. Their voices and technical assistance is much appreciated. Also Eugene Brazier, Erin Fagan and Gloria Park for participating in the audio or visual presentations, keeping a regular presence of Christ Church accessible to our parish and friends.
Five Wednesdays in Lent: Faith Conversations. March 4, 11, 18, 25 & April 1 @ 7:30 pm. Join us for 5 stimulation conversations during Lent: Faith & Science, Faith & Creating Good, Faith & Outreach, Faith & Giving, Faith & Suffering. Come for one evening or all five. No charge. A non-perishable food item would be welcome